1. A quiche caper went awry in northeast England when a pair of hungry thieves broke into a café for food but then armed themselves with knives and barricaded themselves inside after police surrounded the establishment.
2. Angela Marshall, who runs the cafe with her husband, spoke to The Guardian about how the thieves desired the flaky delight:
“Apparently they were hungry and wanted some quiche. There was a little bit of money in the till, but I think they just wanted food and then it got out of hand.”
3. Witnesses said dozens of officers in riot gear, with Tasers and dogs, spent hours trying to talk the men out, according to the BBC.
4. After police convinced the 20- and 21-year-old burglars to drop their knives and end their standoff, they were arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary.
“People come from all over for our quiche, but that was taking it a bit far,” Marshall said.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️