1. Sebastien de la Cruz, best known for his adorable turn on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent,” sang the National Anthem before game three of the NBA finals between the San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat. And he was pretty awesome.
Noah Graham / Getty Images
2. Sebastien, known as El Charro de Oro, the boy with the golden voice, is a San Antonio native, who was filling in because the timeless Darius Rucker of Hootie & the Blowfish fame was scratched at the last minute. The crowd loved him and cheered.
8. Not everyone confused a 10-year-old American citizen with a soon to be deported Mexican national matador, however. Some saw it as a sign that America is pretty great.
10. And in the expected cycle that is the Twitter circle of life, when people got word that Sebastien was being attacked on the social network, many rallied to his defense.
13. So how did Sebastien react to the controversy coming to light after the Public Shaming Tumblr and sites like Latino Rebels brought it to light? With class. He took to local TV and responded to his critics:
Adrian Carrasquillo is a political reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Adrian Carrasquillo at email@example.com.
In The News Today
- With head clerk Kim Davis jailed, Rowan County issued several marriage licenses to same-sex couples today. ›
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- A drowned Syrian boy, whose picture caused outrage around the world, has been buried together with his mother and 5-year-old brother. ›