1. On Monday, MSNBC decided to to show viewers how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
2. First, have your producer wear a sombrero and stumble about drinking straight from a tequila bottle, presumably like a Mexican!
3. Then, shake a baby maraca with a doofy face like an idiot!
4. And dance the way a gringo imagines a Mexican would? Or, conversely, like an idiot!
5. Thanks, MSNBC and Thomas Roberts. While Cinco de Mayo is a sort of silly holiday that Mexican-Americans don’t care too much about, your portrayal and “Mexican Heritage Celebration” chyron are surely appreciated.
6. The president of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, Hugo Balta, released a statement Tuesday slamming MSNBC. He also said he’d reach out to the network:
This is simply the worst example I have seen of a discriminatory stereotypical portrayal of any community by any media. The fact that this was done by a news organization is abominable.
This wasn’t a chance occurrence. This was a planned segment where many journalists agreed on the content and execution which concluded on what was seen nationwide.
It feeds to the ignorant misconceptions of a rich and proud people who unfortunately are too often portrayed as caricatures to be scoffed at.
NAHJ denounces the actions taken by MSNBC’s “Way Too Early” team for their capricious actions, lack of judgment, insensitivity and attack at the Mexican community.
NAHJ demands that the employees involved in the planning and production of this segment be disciplined and made to publicly apologize for their actions.