1. Google honored salsa icon Celia Cruz on Monday with a doodle marking what would have been her 88th birthday.
The singer, who died on July 16, 2003, was so beloved that she was allowed to lie in state at Freedom Tower in Miami after her death where more than 200,000 people paid their respects.
2. People on Twitter were excited.
Elma Placeres Dieppa
WEPA #GOOGLE! They’re celebrating what would’ve been Celia Cruz’s 88th birthday! #latism
Cool of @Google to feature #CeliaCruz as a #googledoodle today on her birthday.
Jennifer Lubrani âœˆ
In honor of Celia Cruz’s birthday today, both Google Doodle & I remember the Queen of Salsa. Wepa! #MusicMonday
Shout out to Google for honoring Celia Cruz today! Azucar!
Google is representing right now for the Latinos. Having Celia Cruz on the homepage celebrating what would have been her 88th bday! #azucar
So Celia Cruz is on the homepage of google and I just had perhaps the biggest Hispanic moment of the month.
Sophia M. Ramos
The Google theme today is Celia Cruz and that makes me emotional.
9. Needless to say, her career spanned decades. “Guantanamera” is a famous hit that has been sampled over and over again.
10. She even helped spring breakers, break it down. Here she is performing her beloved song “La Vida Es Un Carnaval
11. In an emotional tribute, salsa star Victor Manuelle sang the song at her funeral. Even the priest behind him couldn’t stop a smile from creeping across his face as he swayed to the music.
12. As for the doodle, she would have been a fan, says the executor of her estate.
“There have been many posthumous tributes to Celia in these last ten years, but this one by Google is certainly one of the most important and far-reaching,” Omer Pardillo-Cid, sole executor of the Celia Cruz Estate, said in a press release. “She would have loved it!”