1. The Butter Cow, an annual attraction at the Iowa State Fair since 1911, was doused in red paint and the words “Freedom For All” were written on the glass window of the display case on Sunday.
The image was submitted to the Des Moines Register by the activist organization Iowans for Animal Liberation.
2. Iowans for Animal Liberation, an activist group possibly associated with the Animal Liberation Front, has claimed that they were responsible for the vandalization, stating that the paint represents “the blood of 11 billion animals murdered each year.”
3. Sarah Pratt, the butter cow’s sculptor, was called in at 4 a.m. to repair the defaced bovine. The statue was cleaned up and ready to go by the time the fair opened at 9 a.m.
Sculptor Sarah Pratt with the butter cow.
- Airplane debris discovered Wednesday on the coast of the French island of Réunion "very likely" belongs to the same type of aircraft as missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said.
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Uber drivers waiting for ride requests near the International Airport of Mexico City were pelted with rocks, sticks, eggs, and flour on Wednesday. Local authorities are investigating the incident.