1. The Butter Cow, an annual attraction at the Iowa State Fair since 1911, was doused in red paint and the words “Freedom For All” were written on the glass window of the display case on Sunday.
The image was submitted to the Des Moines Register by the activist organization Iowans for Animal Liberation.
2. Iowans for Animal Liberation, an activist group possibly associated with the Animal Liberation Front, has claimed that they were responsible for the vandalization, stating that the paint represents “the blood of 11 billion animals murdered each year.”
3. Sarah Pratt, the butter cow’s sculptor, was called in at 4 a.m. to repair the defaced bovine. The statue was cleaned up and ready to go by the time the fair opened at 9 a.m.
Sculptor Sarah Pratt with the butter cow.
- A Kentucky clerk is defying the Supreme Court by refusing to issue marriage licenses. Her policy comes from her religious opposition to same-sex marriage. ›
- Los Angeles has officially been selected as the American candidate city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. ›
- McDonald's all-day breakfast is happening: It's coming to the U.S. on Oct. 6. The company started testing it this year 🍳 ›