1. LeVar Burton unveiled a Kickstarter campaign dedicated to bringing back the classic Reading Rainbow.
A lot has changed in the way kids receive and interact with programming since the show began in 1983. Although the show launched an iPad app in 2009, many viewers don’t have access to a tablet.
The new show will aim to create an experience “for today’s digitally connected kids delivered through browsers right into schools and homes everywhere.”
“Thirty minutes on TV was yesterday’s world,” Burton says in the Kickstarter video. “Today’s kids want today’s technology.”
2. The new Reading Rainbow will be web-based and will feature “an unlimited library of books and video field trips.”
The goal is to make the show as accessible to kids as possible by allowing them to interact with it via several devices, and by placing it in classrooms, free of charge, along with supplementary teaching tools, like “teacher guides, leveling, and dashboards.”
3. The campaign goal is $1M by July 2 at 3 p.m., EDT.
The rewards for donating are pretty sweet, ranging from Burton’s unending gratitude to T-shirts and tote bags to a private dinner with Burton in which you’ll be able to wear the original visor that he wore in Star Trek: The Next Generation!
4. The response was immediate and positive, with the campaign already raising over $250,000.
8. Please consider this an official petition to elect this the new Reading Rainbow theme song.
Correction: The end of the Kickstarter campaign is July 2. An earlier version of this article misstated the deadline.
- Donald Trump's pick for commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, admitted at his confirmation hearing he once employed an undocumented immigrant as a household worker.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gasses are to blame ♨️️🌍
- President Barack Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- A Toronto man is on a mission to bathe at a different stranger's house every day this month. And so far, so good 🛀