1. At one point on an ordinary Friday, more than 800,000 people were watching two BuzzFeed employees trying to make a watermelon explode with rubber bands.
In fact, according to Facebook, more people tuned in to watch it live than any other live video. At the peak of its 45-minute runtime, 807,000 viewers were watching at the same time. (BuzzFeed is among a group of Facebook Live paid media partners.)
3. Some people questioned their life choices.
6. Adults forgot to adult.
7. Many experienced watermelon-induced anxiety.
9. It took 686 rubber bands, blood, sweat, and tears to finally get the watermelon to burst.
11. And the internet was obsessed.
14. #watermelon began trending in the country.
16. People offered hot takes on #watermelon.
19. Where were you when BuzzFeed exploded a watermelon?
21. History was created.
22. 800,000 people watched this momentous occasion. 315,000 commented on the Facebook live video.
23. Except this guy.
- Fyre Festival — organized by Ja Rule and billed as a luxury event — has turned into a total shitshow and people are livid 💸😱
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- We found an average of about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯