1. A chemical spill was discovered in the Elk River in Charleston, W.Va., on Thursday, Jan. 9, leaving more than 200,000 people in Charleston and nine surrounding counties without drinking water as stores ran out of bottled water on Friday.
Jim Cole of Exeter, N.H., got the last few bottles of water at a store in South Charleston.
2. Residents were warned not to use tap water for drinking, cooking, washing, or bathing by Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin, who declared a state of emergency. Schools and restaurants in the Charelston area have shut down.
Charleston resident Niru Parikshak loads up the back of her car with bottled water on Thursday, Jan. 9. Sam’s Club and every retailer for a 20-mile radius sold out of bottled water after the chemical leak.
3. The spill was caused when a tank at Freedom Industries, a chemical storage facility, began leaking 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol, a compound used to wash coal of impurities. The leak was discovered a mile north of a water treatment plant on the Elk River.
A Freedom Industries worker places a boom in the Elk River at the site of the chemical leak.
4. The chemical overran its container and spilled into the river, contaminating the water near the West Virginia American Water Co. which was located about a mile from the leak.
The 40,000-gallon tank leaked “no more than 5,000 gallons” of the chemical, according to a state official from the Dept. of Environmental Protection.
5. While the licorice-smelling chemical is not lethal for humans, prolonged exposure in high concentrations can cause headaches, eye and skin irritations, and breathing difficulties. There have been no reports of sickness or death so far.
West Virginia American Water company’s president, Jeff McIntyre, said the advisory affects up to 100,000 customers, or about 300,000 people.
6. After most stores ran out of bottled water as residents rushed to stock up on Thursday night, the West Virginia National Guard planned to distribute bottled water to emergency service agencies in the affected counties.
City officials help out at a water distribution site set up at the South Charleston Recreation Center in South Charleston.
The site opened before 9 a.m. on Friday with bottled water and a tanker truck, but was expected to run out of water about 90 minutes later.
10. Some were worried about the lack of bottled water in stores.
- Miami Marlins star pitcher José Fernández has died in a boating accident. He was 24.
- Monday night's presidential debate may be the last hope for environmental activists who want climate in the national conversation.
- Charlotte police have released video of Keith Lamont Scott's shooting and photos of a gun they say he had loaded.