1. "Future Queer: Where Is Gay America Going Next?" — The New Republic
2. "Jennicet Gutiérrez and the Politics of Pride" — Slate
3. "Black Church Taught Me How to Be Black" — BuzzFeed Ideas
4. "The Terror" — The New York Times Magazine
5. "Of Course Dylann Roof Thinks Asians Are Racist. The Media Has Been Perpetrating That Myth for Years." — The Washington Post
6. "Why Women Apologize and Should Stop" — The New York Times
7. "How I’m Learning I Don’t Always Have to Be in Control" — BuzzFeed Ideas
Want to read more? Here are some other essays BuzzFeed published this week.
Erin Chack dedicated a tearjerking essay to her boyfriend of 10 years, recounting the 10 times she knew she loved him. Laura Silver walked us through what online dating feels like for a thirtysomething. Matthew Kassel wrote about the revolting truth of dating anxiety — it causes him to puke on dates. Judd Apatow explained why he chose comedy. Anne Helen Petersen wrote about Mark Wahlberg's very old-fashioned playbook. Sarah Hepola asked some tough questions — namely "Are You An Alcoholic?" Tabatha Leggett got in touch with those who abused her online and asked why. Adam Serwer explained why we're finally taking down Confederate flags. A group of trans men and queer women discussed whether it's time to retire words like "butch" and "femme." And finally, for Father's Day, Liam Lowery wrote about coming out to his parents and staying close to his dad, Adam Vary wrote about the surprising emotional challenges of becoming a gay dad, Tom Chivers pondered the many ways his relationship with his dad changed after having kids, and 11 transgender parents shared their paths to parenthood.
Susan Cheng is an entertainment reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Los Angeles.
Contact Susan Cheng at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.