2. And people eagerly raced out to get their hands on the delicious fried cheese.
4. But recently, social media users have been reporting a very troubling development when they have tried the sticks out for themselves.
5. The sticks seem to be missing a pretty important ingredient.
6. Um, where’s the cheese?
7. What a disappointment.
8. “Thanks for nothing @McDonalds,” one man fumed.
9. This problem is apparently not new. People have been tweeting about their cheese-less sticks since September.
Most of the people are referencing McDonald’s, though a few earlier posts also call out TGI Fridays and Sonic.
12. Lunches across America have been ruined!
13. Even people in the U.K. say they have been affected.
14. This is just tragic.
15. McDonald’s said in a statement to BuzzFeed News it was sorry for the “low volume” of customers who were sold cheese-less sticks.
“In these instances, we believe the cheese melted out during the baking process in our kitchens and shouldn’t have been served,” spokeswoman Lisa McComb said. “We apologize to any customers who may have been affected. We are working to fix this in our restaurants.”
17. Let’s keep these poor people in our prayers.
BuzzFeed News has investigated this cheese mystery by getting some of our own mozzarella sticks. Purely for investigative purposes, of course. Here’s what they looked like:
- Churches across the US are prepping an underground railroad system for immigrants who fear deportation under Trump.
- The widow of a Kansas immigrant allegedly killed by a white nationalist demanded answers from the government about stopping hate crimes.
- At a rally in NYC, trans New Yorkers asked for support from the broader LGBT community — something they haven't always gotten.
- Barack Obama took Malia to see a Broadway show and everyone is talking about how refreshed he's looking 😎