2. More than 1,000 rockets were fired at Israel this last week, most of them in Israel’s south and densely populated center.
Above, an Israeli man holds up part of a rocket that was fired towards Israel from the Gaza Strip.
In Gaza, more than 190 people have been killed in Israeli air strikes. According to the United Nations, up to one-third of those killed are children. Several dozen Israelis have been injured, but serious casualties have been prevented in part by the country’s antimissile system Iron Dome system, which has intercepted rockets aimed at civilian areas.
3. Going out to watch the rockets has become something of a sport, especially in Tel Aviv, Israel’s largest coastal city which has earned the nickname “the bubble” for its party-on way of life.
A man looks at the sea as Israeli air strikes resumed in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday. A cease-fire deal proposal for the conflict in Gaza unraveled after the Islamic militant Hamas rejected the plan.
4. So far, there have been no bids on the rocket.
- It's Inauguration Day — Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States of America at 12 p.m. ET 🇺🇸
- And you can tune into BuzzFeed News on Facebook, where we'll be covering the entire ceremony live.
- And as many as eight survivors have been found after a deadly avalanche buried a hotel in Italy.