2. Activists swarmed the area when news broke that 75-year-old trees in the park would be bulldozed to build a shopping mall.
Mirko Tobias SchÃ¤fer
wow, Turkish police men meet every prejudice of aggressive, macho, police-state attitude #occupygezi
4. Protesters quickly took to Twitter and Instagram, organizing under the #DirenGeziParkı and #OccupyGezi hashtags.
tepsiyle bÃ¶reÄŸe misliyle biber gazÄ±!! #direngeziparki #occupygezi
6. They were unable to stop the bulldozers.
#GeziParkÄ±Ä°Ã§inTaksime yazÄ±k deÄŸil mi?
7. Shocking video of protesters putting on homemade gas masks as police shoot the crowd with tear gas.
10. Photos of frightened occupiers are currently flooding Twitter, pushing #direngeziparki to the second highest trending tag worldwide Friday morning.
It’s almost 6 am in Istanbul, the police burn down protesters’ tents â€at #occupygezi via @kiyametprojesi
16. There are also unconfirmed reports of police aiming tear gas canisters at civilians.
Speak Out 4 Rojava!
THESE ARE BEING AIMED at protesters heads in GEZI PARK! #direngeziparki #occupygezi http://t.co/CtQT3DNEWi
Ne zaman bu kadar zalim oldunuz? #direngeziparki #occupygezi
* T.C. * CaNDaNDeNiz
POLÄ°S MÄ° ÅžÄ°MDÄ° BU ? ADINI SÄ°Z KOYUN @Olympics #occupygezi #direngeziparkÄ± #PoliceViolenceInTurkey
#taksim #direngeziparki #occupygezi
Kafa tasÄ± parÃ§alanan bir genÃ§ kÄ±z daha #direngeziparkÄ± RT herkes gÃ¶rsÃ¼n ! @NihatDogan_ND
hastaneye saldÄ±rÄ±lÄ±yor, savaÅŸta bile yapÄ±lmaz bu!#direngeziparkÄ±