2. Quickly Twitter users began to suspect that the Syrian Electronic Army was behind the outage.
Gere7ek Suriye Ø³ÙˆØ±daØ§
Unconfirmed: New York Times website dropped by SEA (Syrian Electronic Army)
4. Though it’s hard to reproduce due to spotty service, several Twitter users have reported seeing SEA logos on the Times’s site when the refresh the page.
Here’s what shows up when I go to the @nytimes
6. They did tweet out this, though, claiming that they had taken over Twitter.com’s domain
Hi @Twitter, look at your domain, its owned by #SEA :) http://t.co/ZMfpo1t3oG
7. It appears that the report is accurate and that the Syrian Electronic Army is currently in control of the Twitter.com domain.
Haven’t been able to get comment from Twitter yet but this is what a WhoIs search returns for me (note “SEA”)
8. The hacker group appears to be opening up new domains belonging to Twitter and The New York Times.
Syrian Electronic Army now hosting new domains on their IP. Domains belong to @NyTimes and @Twitter.
9. As of 5:55 p.m. Tuesday, The Huffington Post UK’s domain appears to have been claimed by the Syrian Electronic Army, as well.
Syrian Electronic Army now claims name servers of @HuffPostUK: “Media is going down.” https://t.co/SqJ4f5aDAu
Media is going down…. | http://t.co/Gd1zB70v0g | http://t.co/8NUe7Cs2jm | http://t.co/QDdNdEuuVX | http://t.co/W9nmxo95PQ/ Via
11. The New York Times’ chief information officer issued a statement regarding the attack saying it was the result of an external attack by “the Syrian Electronic Army or someone trying very hard to be them.”
12. UPDATE — Aug 27, 2013 7:05 p.m. ET: Officials told NBC News that the FBI is “aware of the hack and is looking into it.”
- Canada's Conservatives voted to get rid of a party policy opposing gay marriage 🇨🇦
- Dozens were arrested at a Trump rally in San Diego as protesters clashed with supporters. Trump thanked police for "handling the thugs."
- The World Health Organization has dismissed calls to postpone or cancel this summer's Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro because of the Zika virus.