2. Spammy tweets that would get thousands and thousands of retweets.
Everything happens so much
As you might know, I am a full time Internet
We all agree, no one looks cool
9. BuzzFeed’s Editor-In-Chief Ben Smith says that he was unaware of the project:
We have a total organizational separation between editorial and our often-brilliant creative team, I didn’t know about it and I don’t know of anyone in editorial who did.
10. Bakkila and Bender revealed to the New Yorker that @Horse_ebooks and cryptic YouTube channel pronunciationbook were both part of an elaborate performance art piece.
11. One that led to The Fitzroy Gallery in the Lower East Side of New York City Tuesday morning.
12. The whole project tied to a larger choose-your-own-adventure interactive-video piece called “Bear Stearns Bravo.”
13. The focus of the gallery exhibit was a backroom performance, where Bakkila was answering phone calls and reciting random words.
16. Curiously enough, Susan Orlean, the author of the New Yorker piece revealing the identity of @Horse_ebooks, was sitting next to Bakkila answering phones with him.
17. When questioned about it online, Orlean has said she is not in cahoots with Bakkila and Bender, but merely just “seeing what it’s all about.”
Guys! @susanorlean is in cahoots with the @horse_ebooks team! She’s at the gallery, answering phones too -> http://t.co/1E07TWCqSW
@moneyries NOT in cahoots! Writing a story. Answering phones for a while to see what it’s all about.
19. The New Yorker has released a statement about Orlean’s involvement:
Yes, we did know about this. Susan has not been working with them, and has no real involvement in the project. She’s working on a story for the magazine about the project.
- Donald Trump's pick for commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, admitted at his confirmation hearing he once employed an undocumented immigrant as a household worker.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gasses are to blame ♨️️🌍
- President Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- A Toronto man is on a mission to bathe at a different stranger's house every day this month. And so far, so good 🛀