According to an article, alumnae from four sororities at the University of Alabama blocked two black students with high scores that were being sought after as pledges for the school’s sororities.
2. Current student and Alpha Gamma Delta member Melanie Gotz explained the influence of the sororities’ alums:
“People are too scared of what the repercussions are of maybe taking a black girl,” Gotz said. “That’s stupid, but who’s going to be the one to make that jump? How much longer is it going to take till we have a black girl in a sorority? It’s been years, and it hasn’t happened.”
3. The four sororities named as blocking the pledging of the black students in the Crimson White’s piece include Alpha Gamma Delta.
5. Chi Omega
6. Pi Beta Phi
7. According to an alumna that the Crimson White spoke to, alumnae didn’t interfere with the pledging of the black students:
However, Karen Keene, an Alpha Gamma Delta alumna, denied the allegations.
“Your information is wrong,” Keene said. “It wasn’t anything to do with someone. It was policy procedure, and if anything, we have to follow policy and procedure with our nationals. That’s all I can say.”
8. The last University of Alabama sororites to let a black student pledge was Gamma Phi Beta in 2003.
9. An unnamed sister at Tri Delta currently explained to the Crimson White’s reporter that a lot of the active members don’t understand the influence of the alumnae:
“To my knowledge, the president and the rush chair and our rush advisors were behind this, and if we had been able to pledge her, it would’ve been an honor,” the Tri Delta member said. “However, our [alumnae] stepped in and went over us and had her dropped.”
“Not a lot of rushees get awesome scores,” the Tri Delta member said. “Sometimes sisters [of active members] don’t get that. [She] got excellent scores. The only thing that kept her back was the color of her skin in Tri Delt. She would have been a dog fight between all the sororities if she were white.”
- Russian ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin has died after suffering from cardiac arrest this morning, a day before his 65th birthday.
- Senator Ron Wyden will soon introduce legislation requiring warrants before phones can be searched at the US border.
- This girl's friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it is the definition of friendship goals 😎