1. This is Emily Heaton. Her dad, Jeremiah, just bought her a “kingdom” in Africa. It’s an 800-square-mile stretch of desert in North Africa.
4. After his trip to the area in June, Heaton wrote on his Facebook page:
“Over the years a few armchair explorers have attempted to ‘claim’ Bir Tawil by simply writing a blog entry or creating a website. These half-hearted, illegitimate claims have not been recognized by any government.
Today, with the full support of the Egyptian government, I traveled 14 hours through the open desert to reach Bir Tawil. Once in the Bir Tawil region, I planted a flag, designed by my children, and made a physical claim on the land.”
- Venezuela is reporting hospitalizations and three deaths as the Zika virus, which is linked to birth defects, spreads.
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders clashed on immigration, Obama, and Kissinger (!) in Thursday's Democratic debate 🇺🇸
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.