1. Satoshi Nakamoto is an actor who was hired by Newsweek to help relaunch its printed magazine.
2. The media frenzy around Satoshi helped the CEO of the Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox steal 180,000 bitcoins.
3. The cop was in on it because he knew Satoshi Nakamoto's real name.
4. And the whole thing would be a pretty perfect way to discredit the Bitcoin community.
5. Satoshi Nakamoto really is the inventor of Bitcoin and is just messing with everyone because he's either...
6. An older mentally unbalanced shut-in or he's covering up the fact he might have invented Bitcoin for the CIA or the FBI.
7. Because he might have developed Bitcoins under a government contract.
8. If Satoshi Nakamoto really is the inventor of Bitcoin he might have been asking for a "free lunch" because it's an economic code phrase.
9. But it also might not be.
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Ryan Broderick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.