1. He collaborates on projects with the daughter of Uzbekistan’s dictator.
Depardieu recorded a song with Gulnara Karimova, the daughter of Uzbekistan’s iron-fisted longtime president Islam Karimov. Karimova, who is launching a pop career as “Googoosha,” is being linked to a telecommunications fraud and corruption scandal currently under investigation by Swiss and Swedish authorities. Depardieu also agreed to play the role of a Byzantine emperor in a series written by Karimova.
4. Vladimir Putin personally decreed his Russian citizenship.
Putin, who is not exactly a dictator, signed a decree giving Depardieu Russian citizenship even after Depardieu has purchased a home in Belgium where he still plans to live. Depardieu has appeared in Russian television commercials in the past and Putin seems to call him by his first name. According to Le Monde, Depardieu boasted to his friends that he would be welcomed in Belgium, Montenegro, and Russia, and that Putin had “already sent his passport.”
- Charlotte police will release video of Keith Lamont Scott's death today, the police chief says.
- Random sampling doesn't quite work like it used to, and that could be a big problem political polling.
- Police in Uganda blocked a pride parade, after the country's ethics minister warned such a demonstration would be illegal.