1. Even though the Detroit Red Wings beat the Anaheim Ducks on Saturday, the ~true star~ of the NHL game was Mason Becker. The 2-year-old lives in Zeeland, Michigan, with his mom and dad.
2. The moment Mason rose to fame was captured by Brad Galli, a reporter with WXYZ-TV Detroit.
3. During a break in the game, the crowd cheered joyously for the little boy and booed angrily when the camera moved to anyone else, including the hockey players.
His father, Tony Becker, told BuzzFeed News that the outpouring of support for Mason happened suddenly.
“It grew and grew and grew. It went from just our little section, to the whole stadium. It was very quick,” he said.
4. Mason, who was named “Honorary First Star,” was a fan of the attention.
5. “Mason loved it,” his father said. “He’s such a little entertainer.”
Mason’s dad loved it, too. “It was just incredible,” he said.
Mason’s grandfather, Timothy Becker, was watching the game from home when he saw the stadium-wide love for his grandson. It meant a lot to him.
“It is a challenge to find the right words: pride, amazement, shock, and awe,” the grandad said.
6. People are obsessed with the now viral video. One person made this apt comparison.
10. Mason’s dad is surprised by the video’s popularity. “I did not think that was what would come of it,” he said. The father and son hope to go to another game soon.
- Top Democrats are demanding House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes remove himself from the investigation into Russian interference in the election.
- After Donald Trump and the Republicans spectacularly failed to repeal Obamacare, Wall Street now realizes that massive tax cuts may not happen 😅 💸
- Over 18,000 households in Flint, Michigan, will receive new water lines, more than two years after dangerous levels of lead were found in the city's water supply.
- Samsung announced plans to refurbish and sell some of the 4.3 million explosive Galaxy Note7 phones it recalled last year📱🔥