5. Arapahoe County Police Captain Larry Etheridge said to his knowledge, no one else was involved in the scam.
“We don’t have any reason to believe that anyone other than her knew the truth,” Etheridge said. “The little boy believed he had cancer. The rest of the family believed he had cancer.”
He added, “She’s taken the stance that she kind of got in over her head and didn’t know what to do.”
7. Nguyen claimed in June 2013 that their family was “told he probably only had 8 more months with them,” according to a website promoting a charity walk for her son.
The fundraiser website, which was promoting an October 2013 5K charity walk and run for the boy, claimed he had been diagnosed in April 2012 with “an aggressive, rare, stage 3 childhood bone cancer and Acute Myelogenous Leukemia.”
The site, which said the boy had was fighting cancer for the third time, also said the boy initially “received 317 days of chemotherapy, 7 days of radiation, multiple blood & platelet transfusions, monthly spinal taps, biopsies, and MRI’s.”
9. Besides events at the boy’s school, Nguyen raised money through donations by students, parents, school staff, and other community members
“We are deeply troubled by these allegations and saddened to learn that an adult may have taken advantage of an innocent child and our school community wrote Rolling Hills Elementary School Principal Darla Thompson in a March 14 letter to parents. “It is important for our community to continue to show support and compassion for this child, who is also a victim in this case. The child was wrongfully led to believe that he was ill, and he was not responsible for the parent’s alleged actions.”
10. Nguyen is now facing two felony charges of theft and criminal impersonation.
She has been released from jail since posting a $10,000 bond.
- The deadly Westminster attack that left four people dead Wednesday began and was over with in 82 seconds, police said Saturday.
- After the health care fail, it's unclear if Republicans and Trump will find consensus on other big ticket items.
- People in Belarus took to the streets and opposed a "social parasites" tax on people who have been unemployed for six months.
- Heads up, Harry Potter fans. You can now get Butterbeer ice cream at your grocery store 🍦✨