1. Meet your new favorite country singers, 18-year-olds Maddie Marlow and Tae Dye, who sing under the name Maddie & Tae.
3. The teens are calling out all male country singers in their scathing new single, “Girl In A Country Song,” which flips the script on typical “bro country” music videos starring men.
“Bro country” is the barrage of songs about slugging beers, driving down dirt roads, and tailgating that has recently begun to dominate the genre.
5. Basically, Maddie & Tae are sick of videos where women just serve as sexy background ornaments (like this).
“One day … we were just talking about all the country songs we love that are on the radio right now …” Tae said in a recent interview. Co-writer Aaron Scherz jumps in: “And Maddie said, ‘You know, I’d hate to be the girl in those country songs.’”
7. But thanks to a little role reversal, it’s the guys’ turn to be objectified.
9. And the guys (and lyrics) do not hold back.
11. “Girl in a country song — how in the world did it go so wrong? Like all we’re good for is looking good for you and your friends on the weekend, nothin’ more,” the girls sing in the chorus.
They continue, “We used to get a little respect. Now we’re lucky if we even get to climb up in the truck, keep our mouth shut, ride along, and be the girl in a country song.”
13. Another verse riffs on all of the times males call women “girl” in their music:
I hear you over there on your tailgate whistlin’
Sayin’ “Hey girl,” but you know I ain’t listenin’
‘Cause I got a name and to you it ain’t
“Pretty little thing,” “honey,” or “baby”
15. The video includes the guys acting out typical country song-clichés, like eating strawberries, washing a car, and sexily pouring water down their front.
17. “Sure I’ll slide on over,” they sing, a common comment to women in country songs, “but you’re gonna get slapped.”
19. The single is especially subservisive and even more ballsy considering that Maddie and Tae are on the same record label as many of the bro country artists they’re mocking.
21. “Can I put on some real clothes now?” the song finishes.
23. You can do anything you want, ladies. Especially continuing to stick it to your own male-dominated industry. Boom.
- President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump had their first dance to Frank Sinatra's "My Way" at the Inaugural Ball. 🇺🇸
- As one of his first acts as president, Donald Trump announced the end of certain Obama administration climate and pollution rules.
- Over 200 people were arrested as anti-Trump protesters and police clashed in Washington, DC, during the inauguration.
- Flights around the country are packed with pink as people stream into Washington, DC, for the Women's March, happening the day after Donald Trump's inauguration 👩❤️👩