Marcia Wallace, who voiced Bart Simpson’s teacher Edna Krabappel for all 24 years of The Simpsons, died at her home in Los Angeles while surrounded by her family, according to TMZ. She was 70.
Wallace’s caregiver told TMZ that she had been sick for a few months, but did not go into specifics on what killed her.
Besides being an actor, Wallace who also a breast cancer survivor for 28 years, and had been a huge breast cancer activist.
3. Comedian Frank DeCaro first broke the news of Wallace’s passing on Twitter Friday night.
Our dear sweet friend Marcia Wallace has died. A walking lesson in comedy. Long live Carol Kester & Edna Krabappel!
The actress started her career with small roles on shows like The Brady Bunch and Bewitched, getting her big break as wisecracking secretary Carol Kester on The Bob Newhart Show. Starting in the ’70s, she also spent three decades appearing on various game shows like Hollywood Squares.
In a statement to Entertainment Weekly, producer Al Jean expressed his grief at the loss of a beloved character and actress.
“I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace,” Jean said. “She was beloved by all at The Simpsons and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character.”
Jean told EW that The Simpsons will be retiring her character.
5. Celebrities, including Wallace’s former co-stars, also expressed their sadness for her passing.
Cheers to the hilarious, kind, fab Marcia Wallace, who has taken her leave of us. Heaven is now a much funnier place b/c of you, Marcia. Xx
Farewell, MARCIA WALLACE! As Bart Simpson’s teacher Edna Krabappel, you were the worst educator in TV history. And we loved you for it. #RIP
R.I.P the brilliant Marcia Wallace who played Edna Krabappel in The Simpsons.
Devastated 2nite at passing of #Marciawallace dear friend 1 of the stars of my @MuffinTopMovie. She was my hero, cheered 4 me. Grrl Genius.
- At least four people are dead and 20 are injured in what police are treating as a possible terror attack outside of Parliament in London.
- Documents about ties between fired Trump adviser Michael Flynn and Russia need to be turned over to House investigators, say oversight chairmen.
- Some Republican senators are urging caution in dismissing Trump's wiretapping claims, despite the FBI and NSA saying there's no evidence.
- And a three-year-old stealing the pope's hat is pretty much the best thing you'll see today 😇