1. The day after at least 68 people were killed in a violent mall attack by Somalian terrorist cell al-Shabab, Kenyan newspaper the Daily Nation depicted the event with a violent cover photograph of an injured woman.
3. Linus Gitahi, the CEO of Nation Media Group, went on Kenyan television to issue an apology for the editorial decision.
Kenyans, we made a poor judgement on our front page photo today. We sincerely apologize for the hurt caused.
6. Charles Onyango-Obbo, a journalist and executive editor for Nation Media Group’s Africa and digital media division, also expressed his regret at the photo’s use.
We wish we could unring the bell on our Sunday Nation cover. We made a grievous error in choosing that photo.
8. Shortly after the apology was issued, Managing Editor Eric Obino, who approved the photograph, was reported to be fired from the newspaper.
CONFIRMED: Sunday Nation boss Eric Obino sacked and all his security access at Nation Centre revoked. #WestgateAttack
10. Many Kenyans have been offended by the coverage of the events and have taken to social media to urge publications to retract their photographs or reconsider their coverage.
The headline of one of the daily’s has brough a lot of anguish to all Kenyans and we urge the media to be sensitive on what they report on.
*â™ â™ Tishâ™ â™ *
Sunday Nation have failed.
The shocking picture of a suffering woman at Westgate on the Daily Nation front page today is both unethical and unprofessional.
Khaleesi Ã„yni Ã–
Daily Nation that front page is wrong and you should pay for it! Those are PEOPLE not a reason to sell a paper! @dailynation #Westgate
Hey @dailynation this photo would’ve been Nice. Hope Over Terror,Humanity over Fear. Oh well,carry on
Creme De La Creme
But still.. That front page picture on today’s Sunday Nation was just wrong. I shredded the front page after buying the paper.!
Dear Daily Nation for your front page; you get a #journalismfail - the victims, their families and humanity need dignity and respect! #basic
As the @dailynation disregards a victim’s dignity & publishes an insensitive cover image in today’s Sunday Nation I must #BoycottDailyNation