The new law will ban abortions after the 20th week of pregnancy, restrict abortions to surgical centers, require abortion clinic doctors to have hospital admitting privileges, and dictate when abortion-inducing drugs can be taken.
Supporters of the law say it will ensure high-quality health care for women and fetuses, but opponents argue it is designed to make abortions harder to obtain. The law will take effect in October and clinics will have a year to upgrade their facilities or shutdown, the Associated Press reported.
Gov Perry just signed #hb2 into law. @nbcdfw
Clapping as Perry hugs Dem Sen Lucio for supporting abortion bill #hb2 @nbcdfw
5. Pro abortion rights protesters rallied for weeks against the bill in Texas.
6. And Democratic Texas State Sen. Wendy Davis launched a marathon filibuster against the bill.
- Time has long chosen controversial figures as their "Person of the Year." But in the age of Trump, has the nuance of "winning" disappeared?
- Tennessee authorities have charged 2 minors with starting the massive wildfires that killed 14 people last month.
- At least 2 women say Stanford offered them money to close federal investigations into how it handles sexual assault.
- This dad had the most adorable freak out when he met his first Alpaca 😂