1. Updated — 2:20 p.m. ET
2. An enormous cargo plane, a Boeing 747 Dreamlifter, mistakenly landed late Wednesday at the wrong airport in Wichita and was stuck there overnight. It finally took off around 2 p.m. ET on Thursday.
The Dreamlifter landed at Jabara.
3. Atlas Air Flight 4241 originated in New York and was scheduled to land at McConnell Air Force Base in Kansas, but instead landed at the smaller Jabara Airport a few miles away.
According to Boeing, the Dreamlifter’s cargo hold is the largest in the world, by volume. It is one of four custom aircraft employed by Boeing and used to haul 787 Dreamliner parts.
4. The mammoth plane needs 9,199 feet of runway to take off at maximum weight, but the runway length at Jabara is just 6,101 feet.
Sittin at Jabara watching the Dreamlifter that doesn’t belong… #lifefail
5. It is not known why the plane landed at the smaller airport but it appears to have been a mistake.
The Federal Aviation Administration plans to investigate whether the pilot followed controllers’ instructions or violated any federal regulations.
ATC recordings show #DreamLifter pilots thought they landed at Beech Field, not McConnell — they were really at Jabara #breaking @KWCH12
At 9:26pm #Dreamlifter pilots ask for tower freq at Beech Field (told it’s closed)…then ask for airport coords
Atlas Air #DreamLifter pilots have flown to #McConnell at least 26 times since August 23, 2013 according to #FlightAware @ricktillery
10. Boeing sent a tug from its Wichita facilities to the airport to try to turn around the Dreamlifter, but that could take some time…
11. Because on the way to the airport early Thursday, the tug broke down. Another tug was brought in later in the day.
KWCH Eyewitness News
PHOTO: Tug headed to Jabara Airport to move #dreamlifter broke down along Webb. #kwch12 #kwchtraffic
12. The plane finally took off Thursday afternoon and headed for McConnell Air Force Base.
- "It was a wick": Artists, friends, and survivors describe what it was like inside the Oakland warehouse party fire that left at least 9 dead.
- After deciding to end her request for a statewide recount in Pennsylvania, Jill Stein announced she plans to take the issue to federal court Monday.
- Thousands holding flags gathered in Cuba Saturday night to remember the life of Fidel Castro. His burial is set to take place on Sunday.
- "Saturday Night Live" spoofed Donald Trump retweeting weird people, just like the real president-elect 📱😂