1. Snowden calls himself a "patriot" and insists he is not working with the Russian government.
2. Snowden says he was trained "as a spy" and worked undercover overseas.
3. He wants to come home.
4. He didn't intend to end up in Russia and blames the U.S. for leaving him stranded there.
5. Snowden was on the military base that houses the NSA headquarters during the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.
6. Snowden says the NSA has the ability to remotely turn a cell phone on and use it for surveillance.
7. Snowden's motivation for leaking the documents? So he can "sleep at night."
Watch the full interview at NBC News.
Jon Passantino is a deputy news director for BuzzFeed News and is based in Los Angeles.
Contact Jon Passantino at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.