1. Meet the bot fly of South America.
These little guys lay their eggs on other parasites like mosquitos. When a mosquito bites a mammal, like a human, the eggs hatch and the human bot fly larvae burrows underneath its skin until its fully grown, according to Harvard entomologist Piotr Naskręcki’s blog.
But there’s good news. Most of the time, the parasite is harmless. It’s just really, really gross.
2. Naskręcki was infected by the bot fly in Belize.
Instead of getting rid of the parasite, he decided to let them grow in his skin so he could videotape the whole experience (for science, of course).
“They are quite pretty – It was an interesting experience and I am glad that I managed to bring these insects to maturity. But rest assured that the next time I am in Belize my bottle of DEET will never leave my pocket,” he wrote on his blog.
3. Watch the entire video if you dare.
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- A jury failed to reach a verdict Friday in the case of Michael Slager, a former South Carolina officer charged in the fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- The CEO of Zenefits plans to step down after 10 months on the job. A legal mess nearly sank the company this year.
- A UFC fighter is asking people to crush apples with their bare hands 🍎💪