1. On Thursday, New York Times Business Editor Dean Murphy and Technology Editor Suzanne Spector announced to the paper’s staff that Re/Code’s Mike Isaac would be joining the NYT as a tech reporter.
2. It had some people wondering if The Times would make Isaac change his Twitter picture — which is of the Charmin mascot — because of some conflict in the paper’s lengthy ethics policy:
Times spokesperson Eileen Murphy told BuzzFeed they would make Isaac do no such thing:
No, that is unlikely; seems fine to us.
And to me (I’m no expert), it’s not entirely obvious that this is actually the ‘Charmin’ bear.
- Sean Spicer today said "his intention is never to lie" as White House press secretary, a pledge that came after making false claims this weekend about Trump's inauguration.
- President Trump signed an anti-abortion executive order that reinstates the so-called global gag rule, barring foreign organizations taking US money from providing abortions.
- The new Trump Hotel in Washington, DC, has lost more than $1 million and is in violation of Donald Trump's lease with the government, say Democratic lawmakers.
- The all-day breakfast boom at McDonald's is over as sales once again continued to fall for the fast food giant 🍳 📉