As the show’s website explains:
“The Samaritans is a comedy about an NGO that does nothing.
It is centered around the absurdities of one dysfunctional NGO. The setting for The Samaritans is the Aid for Aid Kenya field office. The main characters are the staff who have to deal with the odd demands and decisions of the head UK Aid for Aid office and hopelessly inept local bureaucrats, while trying to write as many useless reports as possible, all under the guise of ‘saving’ Africa.
Aid for Aid is an NGO (Non Governmental Organization) whose mandate it is to do…well, no one knows exactly. But by demonstrating a knack for using all the right buzzwords and NGO jargon, they can get away with doing a lot of nothing.”
5. Then there’s the male staff member who appears to do nothing but refer to all the women as sweetie: “I called you sweetie because I call all the girls in the office sweetie… Isn’t that right, sweetie?”
In the first episodes we introduce a rival NGO – the guys next door. This NGO is the complete opposite of Aid for Aid – so we show that they have good governance and are actually accountable to their stakeholders. We show how this works well for everyone….
I’d like to go on for as long as I can. We know we’re critiquing a “big machine”, and we don’t expect the show to change anything overnight – but we’d like to start a dialogue, to get people talking and thinking about in what contexts aid works and for the organizations that are broken, how do you fix them? We’re also going to touch on scenarios and issues in the show that are beyond just NGOs, looking at broader issues around international development.
9. The producers have also put up this teaser for episode two.
10. As well as this sultry holiday message, of sorts.
12. H/T Africa is a Country
- The deadly Westminster attack that left four people dead Wednesday began and was over with in 82 seconds, police said Saturday.
- After the health care fail, it's unclear if Republicans and Trump will find consensus on other big ticket items.
- People in Belarus took to the streets and opposed a "social parasites" tax on people who have been unemployed for six months.
- Heads up, Harry Potter fans. You can now get Butterbeer ice cream at your grocery store 🍦✨