1. Over the weekend, Dani Alves, a Brazilian player with FC Barcelona, became a hero after calmly picking up a banana thrown by a racist fan and eating it — turning a racist gesture all too common on the soccer pitch on its head.
Barcelona beat Villarreal 3-2. Both Barcelona and Villarreal have denounced the act. “I have been in Spain 11 years and it has been the same for 11 years,” Alves told AFP after Sunday’s game. “You have to laugh at these backward people… We are not going to change it, so you have to take it almost as a joke and laugh at them.”
2. Later that day, Alves’ teammate, Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior, posted this photo of him and his kid, using #somostodosmacacos, or #weareallmonkeys. The mocking appropriation of the racist phrase soon spread online.
3. Soon, other soccer players, like retired Brazilian soccer star Roberto Carlos, added their names in solidarity. Carlos has been the target of racist banana throwing before.
4. Belgian soccer player Dries Mertens also took part.
5. So did these Belgian soccer players, Nacer Chadli and Mousa Sidi Yaya Dembele.
6. These guys also posted a picture.
7. As did Brazilian soccer star Marta Vieira da Silva, among others.
8. In Brazil, where Alves is from, celebrities also joined the campaign to satirically belittle the racially charged act of banana throwing. Here’s popular singer Michel Telo taking a selfie with his banana.
9. And popular Brazilian TV presenter Luciano Huck, whose photo received more than 68,600 likes on Instagram.
10. Soon the internet was filled with pictures of people of all colors — and their bananas — using a version of #weareallmonekys and #saynotoracism to criticize the racist sentiment.
11. Some did not see the point in the internet’s satirical appropriation of an innately racist idea. But many others from around the world joined in the online campaign.
- Republicans have breathed new life into their once dead Obamacare replacement and it may be enough to get the bill through the House.
- Sebastian Gorka couldn't make it as a national security expert in Hungary, but that's not stopping him from advising President Trump.
- People are calling the Trump administration's new "criminal alien" hotline to report how they've been victimized by space aliens 👽☎️
- Chipotle is finally adding dessert to its menu and cinnamon, honey, and caramel butter dipping sauce will be involved 😋