2. After hearing the news, protestors took to the streets and clashed with police in Ankara and Istanbul. Berkin’s death is the eighth linked to last year’s massive anti-government protests that started in Istanbul’s Gezi Park and soon spread across Turkey.
3. At a vigil in Istanbul, Elvan’s mother, Gülsüm Elvan, blamed her son’s death on the government, which ordered police to use tear gas. “It is not Allah who has taken my son away. It is [Prime Minister Recep] Tayyip Erdoğan,” she said,Turkish news reported.
Elvan’s health had deteriorated in recent weeks. His weight had reportedly dropped to 16kg (35lb) by the time he died.
4. Elvan’s story had become a focal point for anger against police brutality and government corruption. In Elvan’s honor, protestors at vigils sat with loaves of bread, while some bakeries reportedly gave bread out for free.
6. Students at highschools and Universities, like here in Ankara, also held sit-ins and marched in protest. Others took to social media to tweet photos of vigils, send their condolences to Elvan’s family, and express their anger at the young boy’s death.
8. Erdogan and his government are currently battling serious corruption allegations. Human rights groups have also criticized Erdogan for cracking down on political and media freedoms. He is up for re-election in August.
9. Elvan’s funeral is scheduled for Wednesday, after which further vigils and protests are expected.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- Yalla! You can now download a new Arab emoji keyboard that includes a belly dancer, Oman Chips, and more 👏