“Some young people came up to them and expressed displeasure at what was happening,” a police spokesperson told Interfax, a Russian news agency. “There was a conflict, which turned into a fight on the square in front of the mall.”
The attackers had mistaken the gathering for an LGBT rally and violently rushed the crowd, an unidentified security source told the news agency. The students who had gathered for the flashmob “were wearing historic costumes, particularly kilts, and their opponents mistook them for representatives of non-traditional sexual orientation,” the source said.
The school posted the video of the incident to VKontakte, a Russian version of Facebook. It confirmed that both students and teachers were injured in the brawl.
“Yes our students and teachers were among the injured but it could have been any young people who weren’t to the taste of these grey masses,” Easy School said in a statement, according to Pink News. The police spokesman told Interfax that one teacher had sought medical help but did not need to be hospitalized.
Much of Russian society holds anti-LGBT views, a sentiment that has grown after the country enacted a series of anti-LGBT measures, including a law banning so-called “gay propaganda.” Russia’s ill treatment of the LGBT community came under heavy international scrutiny in the lead-up to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Now that the Games are over, activists worry that cases of attack will go increasingly unnoticed.
3. Life News, a Russian tabloid, uploaded video of the attack:
- Sean Spicer said "his intention is never to lie" as White House press secretary, a pledge that came after making false claims this weekend about Trump's inauguration.
- President Trump signed an executive order that reinstated a rule to ban foreign organizations that receive US funding from providing abortions.
- Democratic lawmakers say the new Trump Hotel in Washington, DC, has lost over $1 million and violates the president's lease with the government.
- The all-day breakfast boom at McDonald's is over as sales continue to fall for the fast food giant 🍳 📉