4. The latest ad posted to Vodafone’s YouTube account on Dec. 27 seemingly told the simple story of Abla Fahita looking for her late husband’s old phone line, in order to popularize a new Vodafone service.
5. A few days later, Spider appeared on TV and accused Abla Fahita of propagating terrorism. The ad featured a shiny cactus instead of a Christmas tree, which he saw as a threat of violence. The cactus had four fingers — like the pro-Brotherhood Rabaa sign.
The accusations come amid a widening crackdown on opposition voices inside Egypt. Part of that campaign was the Egyptian government’s recent designation of the Muslim Brotherhood as a terrorist group.
6. A widely shared video spelled out Spider’s allegations.
11. The affair has launched a series of memes as well as the hashtag #FreeAblaFahita.
ØªØ¶Ø§Ù…Ù†Ù†Ø§ Ù…Ø¹ Ø£Ø¨Ù„Ø© ÙÙ‡ÙŠØªØ§.. #FreeAblaFahita
Hey World, get used to this face. #Egypt’s muppet Abla Fahita is accused of sending you coded espionage messages.
In solidarity with Abla Fahita. #Resist #FreeAblaFahita
14. “We are all Abla Fahita.”
ÙƒÙ„Ù†Ø§ Ø£Ø¨Ù„Ø© ÙØ§Ù‡ÙŠØªØ§ @AblaFahita
16. The absurdity of “AblaFahitagate” was a painful reminder of Egypt’s chaotic state.
Embarrassing: the abla Fahita story made it to the Economist. http://t.co/0b3smbjedU
Ahmed Al Mojadidi
In law school in the year 2060, “Yalla ya gama3a, open your books to Chapter A, page 7, section A to the case of Abla Fahita vs the State”
The Big Pharaoh
Breaking: Ministry of Interior announced that they recorded phone calls between Abla Fahita and Kermit the frog. US conspiracy!
Amr Anti Deep State
It is mind numbing that a nation as great as #Egypt can willingly allow itself to be dumbed down so systematically #AblaFahita
20. Others lamented how Abla Fahita’s case had become a distraction from the thousands of Egyptians imprisoned without due process, as well as the families still awaiting justice for those killed in the 2011 revolution.
Watch, Mansour will probably pardon the puppet, leave Alaa, Ahmed, Mohamed, thousands of MB and political prisoners to rot in Egypt jails.
Alba Fahita debacle is classic misdirection. While we’re watching that, Interior Ministry is busy compiling cases vs Morsi and MB. #Egypt
Although we’re getting a good laugh from Abla Fahita, it shouldn’t shift our focus from @Repent11 and rest of imprisoned AJE staff #Egypt
23. The Egyptian blogger Sarah Carr summed up the true tragedy of the puppet crackdown in a widely shared post.
And so it seems that this grand civilisation of 7,000 years is once again being held hostage by buffoons. Every country has its Glenn Beck type public figures, the difference in Egypt is that they are taken seriously where it suits the political ambitions of those at the reins and serves a useful purpose. Thus we have the Public Prosecutor accepting a complaint about a finger puppet while nobody has been charged for the deaths of nearly 1,000 people at Rab3a, because the current mood is almost fascistic in its reverence for the state and for state hegemony and for state opponents to be eliminated. If there was a page equivalent to We Are All Khaled Said now it would be Turns Out We Are All Adolf Hitler. Comedy and tragedy often overlap.
- The Trump administration is rolling back an Obama-era policy aimed at protecting transgender students in public schools.
- North Dakota police have begun clearing out Standing Rock protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- Facebook is in negotiations with the Major League Baseball League to possibly stream one game per week during the 2017 season.