1. A sandstorm swept through Aswan, a city in Egypt’s south, on Wednesday afternoon, damaging property and killing two people, according to local media reports.
2. Egyptian Yousrey Aref uploaded this video of nature’s onslaught to his public Facebook page.
3. “I almost suffocated from the sand! Every thing turned into an orange light only and you can’t see any thing [outside] the windows,” Aref described in Arabic, the Egyptian Streets blog reported.
4. Aswan is a popular tourist spot because of the area’s breathtaking ancient pharaonic temples and artifacts.
5. Egypt’s recent drop in tourism has hit Aswan hard.
6. In the 1960s, the Egyptian government controversially relocated some of Aswan’s local Nuba people to make room for the Aswan Dam.
7. Since then, many in Aswan have accused the central government of ignoring local development beyond the tourism industry.
8. The Aswan dust storm was part of a wave of erratic weather to hit Egypt this week, including floods in the Sinai peninsula and a heatwave in the capital Cairo.
- And do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz 💯