1. Tweet all your Twitter followers that you are flying your first drone:
2. Take that bad boy out of the box and inventory all your parts:
3. Turn on your camera before you start you first flight:
4. Now place your drone down on the ground and get ready for your first takeoff:
5. Your first ever drone takeoff:
6. Your first attempt at trying to fly it will probably last only a few seconds:
7. And then your first crash happens:
8. This is followed by a short jog over to your downed drone to make sure you didn't break it within the first minute of flying it:
9. Then there is the part where you learn how much the wind really affects your ability to fly the drone:
10. Which can only mean another crash is imminent but this time from 20 feet in the air:
11. After awhile you get good enough to fly close to things and not crash:
12. But as soon as you start feeling good about your flying skills a gust of wind shows you who's boss:
13. You will always remember the stage you get good enough at flying your drone that you capture your first selfie:
14. Eventually you get good enough that you can make 360 degree turns while 20 feet in the air:
15. And the final most important part of your first attempt at flying a drone — mastering the soft landing:
You can watch the experience unfold in these two YouTube videos:
Michael Rusch is a socials editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Michael Rusch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.