Students participate in a news conference on student loans on Capitol Hill, June 6, 2013 in Washington, DC.
2. From The Associated Press:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Heading off a costly rate increase for returning college students, a bipartisan group of senators reached a deal Wednesday that would offer students better rates this fall but perhaps assign higher rates in coming years.
The deal would offer students lower interest rates through the 2015 academic year but then rates were expected to climb above where they were when students left campus this spring. Undergraduates could face rates as high as 8.25 percent, while graduate students would see rates as high as 9.5 percent and parents’ rates would top out at 10.5 percent.
From NBC News Capitol Hill Correspondent:
Just In: Deal to avoid student loan interest rate jump reached in senate, sources say @KellyO
More on Student Loans: framework of rates fix deal in place. Senators still negotiating lots of complicated details in package.
- Fyre Festival — organized by Ja Rule and billed as a luxury event — has turned into a total shitshow and people are livid 💸😱
- We found about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- Arkansas executed Kenneth Williams Thursday night — just days before one of the state's execution drugs expires.