President Of South Africa Statement:
During the past few days former President Nelson Mandela has had a recurrence of lung infection. This morning at about 1.30am his condition deteriorated and he was transferred to a Pretoria hospital. He remains in a serious but stable condition.
The former President is receiving expert medical care and doctors are doing everything possible to make him better and comfortable.
President Jacob Zuma, on behalf of government and the nation, wishes Madiba a speedy recovery and requests the media and the public to respect the privacy of Madiba and his family.
#Mandela was accompanied to hospital last night by at least one of his close relatives, says Presidential spokesman, Mac Maharaj.
ANC spokesman on #Mandela’s health - “time for the nation to hold hands and pray.”
Prime Minister David Cameron:
My thoughts are with Nelson Mandela, who is in hospital in South Africa
Update: Saturday, June 8, 2013 - 3:00 p.m. ET:
10. Nelson Mandela’s home town neighbours wish him well:
- The Women's March on Washington was one of the largest protests in the city's history.
- Trump's spokesman held a press conference to blame grass coverings for "minimizing" the crowd at the inauguration 🤔
- Members of the national security community reacted with shock after Trump attacked his critics while giving a speech at CIA headquarters.
- "SNL" featured a shirtless Vladimir Putin celebrating America's newest President.