President Of South Africa Statement:
During the past few days former President Nelson Mandela has had a recurrence of lung infection. This morning at about 1.30am his condition deteriorated and he was transferred to a Pretoria hospital. He remains in a serious but stable condition.
The former President is receiving expert medical care and doctors are doing everything possible to make him better and comfortable.
President Jacob Zuma, on behalf of government and the nation, wishes Madiba a speedy recovery and requests the media and the public to respect the privacy of Madiba and his family.
#Mandela was accompanied to hospital last night by at least one of his close relatives, says Presidential spokesman, Mac Maharaj.
ANC spokesman on #Mandela’s health - “time for the nation to hold hands and pray.”
Prime Minister David Cameron:
My thoughts are with Nelson Mandela, who is in hospital in South Africa
Update: Saturday, June 8, 2013 - 3:00 p.m. ET:
10. Nelson Mandela’s home town neighbours wish him well:
- Inside WikiLeaks: A former employee shares what he learned about Julian Assange (including his beef with Hillary Clinton).
- One week into the fight to take back Mosul, expectations for quick success have clashed with the reality of a bloody struggle ahead.
- At least 13 people were killed and 31 others injured when a tour bus crashed into a semi-trailer near Palm Springs, California Sunday.
- An NFL player paid tribute to Harambe, the gorilla who died at a Cincinnati zoo, on his cleats.