University Place resident Kaitlin Eriksen told The Sun News of Myrtle Beach that she was inside her apartment when she heard four or five shots. Eriksen said she went to her balcony to see where the shots came from and saw a man fall against the back of a car’s rear window.
3. Statement From University Spokeswoman Mona L. Prufer to BuzzFeed at 12:38 AM:
Coastal Carolina University has confirmed that Anthony Darnell Liddell, 19, a sophomore student from Bennettsville, died Tuesday as a result of a shooting incident at University Place residence hall.
CCU Department of Public Safety Police Chief David Roper has determined that currently there is no apparent threat to students, faculty or staff. Therefore, classes will be held on Wednesday as regularly scheduled.
CCU Counseling Services professionals and ministers will be on hand Wednesday at CCU’s Lackey Chapel beginning at 8 a.m. to provide assistance to students. Counseling staff will also be available at the Grand Strand Activity House, located at University Place, and at Eaglin and Ingle residence halls. Counseling staff has also been assisting students at University Place since the incident was reported.
At 7:22 p.m. Tuesday, Horry County 911 Dispatch received a call reporting a shooting at the University Place residence hall at Coastal Carolina University. CCU Police and Conway City Police responded immediately. The victim was transported to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. The suspect left campus in a vehicle and, at the time of this message, is still at large. CCU Alert messages were sent out to students, faculty and staff, and the website was updated to provide information about the shooting as it became available.
Residence Halls remain under lockdown for the remainder of the night. S.C. Law Enforcement Division is conducting the investigation, assisted by CCU Public Safety. Anyone who has information regarding this incident is asked to contact CCU Dept. of Public Safety at 843-349-2177.
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- A jury failed to reach a verdict Friday in the case of Michael Slager, a former South Carolina officer charged in the fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- The CEO of Zenefits plans to step down after 10 months on the job. A legal mess nearly sank the company this year.
- A UFC fighter is asking people to crush apples with their bare hands 🍎💪