1. Miss Kansas is only the second woman from the armed forces to compete in the pageant.
2. She's the first contestant to bare her tattoos.
3. Miss Kansas wants to break down barriers.
4. She said this about her talent portion.
5. She speaks Chinese!
6. She's currently earning her private pilot's license.
7. She's an expert marksman on the M16 rifle.
8. She also pulls off camo rather well.
9. In conclusion:
Michelle Broder Van Dyke is a reporter and night editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in Hawaii.
Contact Michelle Broder Van Dyke at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.