1. Near the Mariposa Port of Entry in Nogales, Ariz., a section of the rebar-reinforced fence between the U.S. and Mexico toppled over after heavy rains inundated the area.
3. The storm began in Sonora, Mexico, on Friday and continued throughout most of the weekend. Debris from the flooding built up at the fence, eventually creating so much pressure that it toppled the wall.
“If your fencing is tight enough to catch debris, it basically becomes a dam.” said John Hays, floodplain coordinator for the Santa Cruz County Flood Control District. “It’s not meant to withstand those loads of water.”
The fence is made of many steel beams, which are reinforced with a pole of rebar and filled with concrete. It also has floodgates, which did not open for a still unknown reason.
5. This section of the wall, which was built in 2011, was between 18 and 26 feet high and extended another 7 feet into the ground, the Associated Press reported.
Shortly after the wall was knocked down, border agents were notified and deployed to the area, U.S. Border Patrol spokeswoman Nicole Ballistrea said.
Ballistrea said cameras would assist in patrolling the area, while repairs are being made on the damaged section of the fence.
7. Meanwhile, on the other side of Nogales, another section of the border was discovered deliberately cut, creating a hole large enough for a car to drive through.
8. On Saturday it was discovered that eight beams in the fence had been sliced through, Ballistrea said.
Cuts were made at the base of the beams and about 10 feet above the ground, the Nogales International reported.
Contractors were at the section of the fence by Monday to repair it with blow torches and metal clamps.
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- According to the World Bank, a child born in 2014, on average, will live for more than 71 years.
- A 2-year-old boy lost a race at school after he spotted his dad and ran to hug him instead of crossing the finish line 👦💨💞