John Hwang, who photographed Oliver, told BuzzFeed News that he heard about the dog after a friend described rescuing him from a busy highway.
His friend told him that the dog had been taken to California’s Baldwin Park Animal Shelter, and Hwang, who is an occupational therapist and photographs rescue animals as a hobby, went to meet the pup on Jan. 11.
“I would give him some treats,” Hwang said. “Let him smell my camera.”
He said Oliver wasn’t that interested in the treats and described him as restless. “He kept pacing back and forth as if he’s looking for a way to get out of the kennel.”
Hwang said he posted the photos later that day and the response has been “unreal.”
“People really fell in love with this dog,” he said, adding that people from all over the world have messaged him about adopting the dog.
8. The good news is that Oliver has now been taken in by the group Doggy Smiles Rescue!
Oliver is being treated for a kennel cough, but will then be put up for adoption. California residents should contact Doggy Smiles Rescue for more information.
- "It was a wick": Artists, friends, and survivors describe what it was like inside the Oakland warehouse party fire that left at least 9 dead.
- After deciding to end her request for a statewide recount in Pennsylvania, Jill Stein announced she plans to take the issue to federal court Monday.
- Thousands holding flags gathered in Cuba Saturday night to remember the life of Fidel Castro. His burial is set to take place on Sunday.
- "Saturday Night Live" spoofed Donald Trump retweeting weird people, just like the real president-elect 📱😂