1. At the 2014 Scripps National Spelling Bee, 15-year-old Jacob Williamson was the clear favorite of Twitter followers for his sheer enthusiasm for spelling.
2. “Please give me a word I know,” Williamson excitedly told bee Pronouncer Jacques Bailly before getting “euripus” on Wednesday.
3. Jacob replied: “I know it! Greek, right?” Yes, came the answer, and Williamson quickly spelled the word correctly.
4. On Wednesday night, Williamson also aced his word “carcharodont.”
5. The competition Wednesday featured 281 spellers from around the world and Williamson was one of just 12 finalists who advanced.
6. But he was eliminated Thursday night, after shouting with excitement “I know it, I totally know it!” and misspelling “kabaragoya.”
7. Twitter was clearly disappointed by Williamson’s lost.
10. Although some were quick to criticize William’s self-assurance:
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill, but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- South Korean prosecutors have reportedly asked a judge to issue an arrest warrant for former President Park Geun-hye.
- "Orange Is The New Black" actor Samira Wiley and writer Lauren Morelli officially tied the knot in Palm Springs 🌴
- And Muslims in Birmingham told BuzzFeed News what it's like in the city that finds itself under the spotlight because of the murderous actions of London attacker Khalid Masood.