1. Shipments of square-shaped watermelons started on Wednesday from the western Japanese town of Zentsuji to markets across the country and overseas.
Square watermelons, weighing 13 pounds a piece, are displayed for shipment at Zentsuji in Kagawa prefecture.
5. Now overseas markets are buying into the square-shaped luxury item too.
Orders have been received from Canada for more than 100 cube watermelons this year, the Japan Times reported.
Last year, the fruits were shipped to Moscow, where they were so popular they sold for around $860, USA Today reported.
In total, almost 400 cube watermelons are expected to be grown by six farmers this year. All the cube watermelons will be distributed by mid-July.
6. Learn more about how the cube watermelon is grown here:
- Hidden from public view, there's a parallel legal universe that empowers corporations to bend countries to their will, an investigation reveals.
- Beyoncé slayed her "Lemonade" performance at the MTV VMAs Sunday night 👸🐝
- Fitbit has announced two new versions of the super-popular Charge HR and Flex, marking the first time that it has reimagined any of its existing devices ⌚️