go to content

Israel Withdraws Troops From Gaza As Cease-Fire Takes Effect

At least 32 underground tunnels have been destroyed and all Israeli troops have withdrawn from Gaza, Israeli Defense Forces said as a cease-fire began.

Posted on

An Israeli Defense Forces spokesman said Tuesday that 32 cross-border tunnels had been destroyed, completing Israel's main mission ahead of a 72-hour cease-fire with Hamas in Gaza.

After the destruction of 32 terror tunnels, from 0800 the #IDF will implement a 72 hour cease fire, from defensive lines, outside of #Gaza

Peter Lerner@LTCPeterLerner

After the destruction of 32 terror tunnels, from 0800 the #IDF will implement a 72 hour cease fire, from defensive lines, outside of #Gaza

6:32 PM - 04 Aug 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Israel said it had withdrawn all ground troops from Gaza by the start of the cease-fire at 8 a.m. Tuesday. The IDF said it would maintain defensive positions near the Gaza border.

Minutes before the truce took effect, a volley of rockets were fired into Israel. Air raid sirens wailed as far north as the Jerusalem area. Hamas claimed responsibility for the final salvo and no injuries were immediately reported.

The cease-fire was arranged by Egypt and agreed upon tentatively by Israel and Hamas on Monday. During the three-day truce, Egypt is set to host indirect talks in Cairo between the parties to establish a long-term agreement.

From 8:00 AM today we will implement a 72-hour cease-fire. During this time, we will maintain defensive positions near the Gaza border.

IDF@IDFSpokesperson

From 8:00 AM today we will implement a 72-hour cease-fire. During this time, we will maintain defensive positions near the Gaza border.

7:07 PM - 04 Aug 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Bloodshed has continued throughout the month-long war, with an attack in Jerusalem yesterday making many fear the violence would spill over.

Several truces have been arranged and broken within hours of starting, including a truce on Friday.

The conflict has killed at least 1,800 Palestinians and 67 Israelis, surpassing the death tolls of other recent conflicts in 2009 and 2012.

The Secretary-General welcomes the efforts leading to a new cease-fire as announced today. He commends the parties for committing to this cease-fire of 72 hours, to begin Tuesday, 5 August, at 8 a.m. local time, and calls on them to abide by it. Until the start of the cease-fire, the parties must exercise the utmost restraint. The Secretary-General urges the parties to commence, as soon as possible, talks in Cairo on a durable cease-fire and the underlying issues. In this regard, he welcomes the proactive engagement of the Palestinian delegation under the leadership of President Abbas. Such talks are the only way to sustainably stop the violence, which has cost far too many lives, and to change the untenable and tragic status quo in Gaza. The United Nations stands ready to lend its full support to these efforts.​

Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's spokesman Mark Regev has blamed Hamas for prolonging the conflict after it rejected an earlier cease-fire deal proposed by Egypt.

We accepted the Egyptian ceasefire 3 weeks ago.Hamas rejected it & is clearly accountable for the ensuing bloodshed http://t.co/mnghTFsEwf

Mark Regev@MarkRegevPMO

We accepted the Egyptian ceasefire 3 weeks ago.Hamas rejected it & is clearly accountable for the ensuing bloodshed
http://t.co/mnghTFsEwf

9:54 AM - 05 Aug 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Palestinians have been making the most of the truce, with fishing boats returning to the waters around Gaza this morning.

instagram.com

One hour into the ceasefire and Palestinian fishermen head out to sea. Let's hope today's catch is a good one. #Gaza

Imtiaz Tyab@ImtiazTyabAJE

One hour into the ceasefire and Palestinian fishermen head out to sea. Let's hope today's catch is a good one. #Gaza

7:08 AM - 05 Aug 14ReplyRetweetFavorite

Michelle Broder Van Dyke is a reporter and night editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in Hawaii.

Contact Michelle Broder Van Dyke at michelle@buzzfeed.com.

Francis Whittaker is a homepage editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.

Contact Francis Whittaker at francis.whittaker@buzzfeed.com.

Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.