Photo from Mobile, Alabama barge explosion http://t.co/sVY7eaxL3o (@LagniappeMobile)— BuzzFeed News
MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Firefighters in Mobile, Ala. and the Coast Guard responded Wednesday night to four explosions on two fuel barges in the Mobile River in Alabama that left three people injured.
Fire and rescue crews were responding to two explosions and a fire at the natural gas barges when a third explosion occurred, Mobile Fire and Rescue spokesman Steve Huffman said. A fourth explosion was then reported just before 10 p.m. CDT.
Three people were hospitalized with burns.
The explosions rattled the windows of houses in downtown, blew doors open in the Spanish Fort area and aftershocks were reported in Bay Minette and Fort Morgan, the Press-Register reported.
Coast Guard officials were heading to the scene and the cause of the explosion was not immediately clear, Vega said.
3. Fox 10 News anchor reports that the three people hospitilized are in critical condition.
All three patients are currently in critical condition— Bob Grip
4. Local coverage:
5. Mobile Fire and Rescue says it will let the fire burn into the night, because the situation is still unstable.
BAE is sheltering in place. Part of Austal has been evacuated. A fourth explosion has occurred. Planning to let it burn. Still too unstable.— Mobile Fire-Rescue
- A draft of a plan to repeal Obamacare was released that'll block federal funds from Planned Parenthood and cut healthcare benefits granted under the law.
- The widow of a Kansas immigrant who was allegedly killed by a white nationalist demanded answers from the government about stopping hate crimes in the US.
- Time to change your passwords: Uber and Fitbit are among the millions of websites that may have been compromised 🔐
- A billboard in North Carolina that claims "Real men provide. Real women appreciate it," has sparked controversy across the country 👀