Photo from Mobile, Alabama barge explosion http://t.co/sVY7eaxL3o (@LagniappeMobile)— BuzzFeed News
MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Firefighters in Mobile, Ala. and the Coast Guard responded Wednesday night to four explosions on two fuel barges in the Mobile River in Alabama that left three people injured.
Fire and rescue crews were responding to two explosions and a fire at the natural gas barges when a third explosion occurred, Mobile Fire and Rescue spokesman Steve Huffman said. A fourth explosion was then reported just before 10 p.m. CDT.
Three people were hospitalized with burns.
The explosions rattled the windows of houses in downtown, blew doors open in the Spanish Fort area and aftershocks were reported in Bay Minette and Fort Morgan, the Press-Register reported.
Coast Guard officials were heading to the scene and the cause of the explosion was not immediately clear, Vega said.
3. Fox 10 News anchor reports that the three people hospitilized are in critical condition.
All three patients are currently in critical condition— Bob Grip
4. Local coverage:
5. Mobile Fire and Rescue says it will let the fire burn into the night, because the situation is still unstable.
BAE is sheltering in place. Part of Austal has been evacuated. A fourth explosion has occurred. Planning to let it burn. Still too unstable.— Mobile Fire-Rescue
- Top legal scholars will be filing the 1st major lawsuit against President Trump's alleged business conflicts on Monday.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure 1st-time marchers stick around ✊
- Kellyanne Conway says White House press sec. Sean Spicer didn't lie about crowd size at Trump's inauguration. He gave "alternative facts."
- The Atlanta Falcons are off to the Super Bowl for the 2nd time after defeating the Green Bay Packers 🏈