The new law passed today by the ACT Legislature is the first time such laws have been passed in Australia and it opens a way for the first same-sex couples’ marriages to take place in December.
The law, though, already is headed for a High Court challenge by the national government, led by Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who opposes marriage rights for same-sex couples.
Ladies and gents; same sex marriage is now legal in ACT. Well done Aus on moving forward! Now let’s stop Abbott from trying to outlaw it.
5. Australian Greens Leader and Senator for Tasmania showed her support after the ACT Legislature passed the Marriage Equality Same Sex Act 2013.
Congratulations to all the campaigners for marriage equality who have made success in ACT possible. Another big step!
6. The bill was passed by 9 votes to 8 with the support of the Labor Government and its one Greens member.
Result of division, ayes 9 nos 8 therefore Ayes have it. yeah!
7. The public gallery burst into song after the law was passed:
Katy Gallagher MLA
“love is in the air” sung in public gallery was perfect way to finish a historic morning in the Legislative Assembly #MarriageEquality
ACT #MarriageEquality Bill (as amended) passes the Assembly
The public gallery bursts in to song
Love is in the air!#Canberra
9. In Australia people celebrated:
Mary Porter AM MLA
Celebrating the passing of the Marriage Equality Bill 2013 with a long time friend #Canberra
Holy crap! The ACT (where I live) just passed the Same Sex Marriage bill. #goodjobcanberra #rainbowstate
Always proud to be a Canberran, but today its especially great. Kudos to the ACT Government for legalising gay marriage. Woohoo!
Same sex marriage bill passes today in #ACT. Congratulations to all in community + politics who worked so hard on this! #marriageequality
- The Trump administration is reportedly considering a set of policies to prosecute parents who illegally enter the US with their children.
- Norma McCorvey, the woman behind the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case, Roe v. Wade, has died in Texas at 69.
- Mark Sanford held a town hall on Saturday that he organized with Indivisible, a group dedicated to holding members of Congress' feet to the fire.
- Donald Glover has been cast as Simba in Disney's remake of "The Lion King."