1. Bao Bao the panda celebrated her first birthday at the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. Saturday.
2. To celebrate Bao Bao was made a special cake of frozen apple juice and beet juice.
4. Bao Bao enjoyed eating her cake…
5. And climbing all over it.
6. As part of the birthday celebration, the Zoo included a Chinese tradition called a Zhuazhou ceremony.
7. During a traditional Zhuazhou, different symbolic objects are placed in front of a baby to choose from. The item the baby chooses predicts his or her future.
8. In front of Bao Bao, were three different posters to choose from featuring symbolic paintings.
9. She immediately went towards the poster with peaches on it, symbolizing longevity.
10. “Bao Bao chose the peaches first, which means she will live a long life as an ambassador for panda conservation,” the Zoo said in a statement.
13. After her birthday party, Bao Bao climbed her favorite hemlock tree…
14. And swung from it.
- Blue Lies Matter: How video finally proved that police officers lie — and why they get away with it.
- Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- Trump promised insurance for everyone this weekend, but Senate Republicans say they assume he misspoke.
- A Toronto man is on a mission to bathe at a different stranger's house every day this month. And so far, so good🛀