1. Bao Bao the panda celebrated her first birthday at the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. Saturday.
2. To celebrate Bao Bao was made a special cake of frozen apple juice and beet juice.
4. Bao Bao enjoyed eating her cake…
5. And climbing all over it.
6. As part of the birthday celebration, the Zoo included a Chinese tradition called a Zhuazhou ceremony.
7. During a traditional Zhuazhou, different symbolic objects are placed in front of a baby to choose from. The item the baby chooses predicts his or her future.
8. In front of Bao Bao, were three different posters to choose from featuring symbolic paintings.
9. She immediately went towards the poster with peaches on it, symbolizing longevity.
10. “Bao Bao chose the peaches first, which means she will live a long life as an ambassador for panda conservation,” the Zoo said in a statement.
13. After her birthday party, Bao Bao climbed her favorite hemlock tree…
14. And swung from it.
- Mike Pence has clarified Trump's immigration policy saying that it will reflect "compassion and humanity".
- An earthquake that struck central Italy Wednesday has killed at least 120 people, officials say 150 people are still missing.
- Scientists found a planet "on our doorstep" that may be habitable. We could send robots to explore it in a century or so 🌍🌠