Unroll.me, a service that helps you unsubscribe from email lists, has data on its 2013 unsubscribers.
Typical mailing list unsubscribe rates are usually around 1%, so these numbers might seem insanely high. But keep in mind this data is just for Unroll.me users, a demographic who signs up for the service specifically to clean out their inbox.
The main takeaway is that the kind of sites that are most unsubscribed from are the kind people typically make one-time purchases. For example, after you send Mother’s Day flowers, you don’t really want to hear about floral deals the rest of the year, right?
The Most Commonly Unsubscribed Mailing Lists:
1. 1-800 Flowers 52.50% unsubscribe rate
2. Ticketweb 47.50% unsubscribe rate
4. Expedia 45% unsubscribe rate
Who wants to be reminded each week of all the vacations they’re NOT taking?
5. Active 44.70% unsubscribe rate
Active is a fitness site that helps you find exercise activities in your area. Much like a gym membership after January 15, people probably gave up on it and hate to be reminded the don’t exercise.
6. Eventful — 44.20% unsubscribe rate
Much like TicketWeb, people probably use it for the event they already know they want, then don’t want to hear more about it.
8. Shop It To Me — 42.10% unsubscribe rate
A deal-finder shopping site that helps you find sales on brands in your size. Seems like a good idea…. however, when you sign up, the default frequency for emails is “Daily”, which is probably more than most people want.
Shopittome, if you’re reading this, here’s my advice: change the default on your dropdown at sign up to the recommended twice a week emails.
- Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new National Security Adviser, replacing Michael Flynn, who resigned last week.
- Milo Yiannopoulos's book has been canceled after he was accused of defending pedophilia.
- Russian ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin has died after suffering from cardiac arrest this morning, a day before his 65th birthday.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it is the definition of friendship goals 😎