So, this is you:
3. Someone jumped out of a balloon from this height, back in 1960:
In this Aug. 16, 1960 photo made available by the U.S. Air Force, Col. Joe Kittinger steps off a balloon-supported gondola at an altitude of 102,800 feet. In freefall for 4.5 minutes at speeds up to 614 mph and temperatures as low as -94 degrees Fahrenheit, he opened his parachute at 18,000 feet.
7. Now, this is the Earth from the moon, about 230,000 miles away:
8. The farthest a human has ever been from home is 248,655 miles, when the Apollo 13 spacecraft made its risky trip around the dark side of the moon:
This was taken by the crew.
15. Now let’s keep going. This is what Earth looks like as you’re leaving the solar system, 3.7 billion miles away. Pluto-ish area:
“From Voyager’s great distance Earth is a mere point of light, less than the size of a picture element even in the narrow-angle camera. Earth was a crescent only 0.12 pixel in size.”
16. Obviously 3.7 billion miles is really, really far. But you also have to consider that Earth is pretty tiny:
(we’re just getting started)
23. Oh, by the way, the closest galaxy to ours, which also has billions of stars, is going to slam into us eventually. Here’s what NASA thinks it will look like from Earth:
This will happen in four billion years, which seems like a long time. But the Earth did exist four billion years ago, and it might well exist then. This probably wouldn’t end well for us, whatever “us” will mean in 4,000,000,2012 AD.
Feeling small yet?
26. In that tiny little dark patch of sky were 10,000+ galaxies, many bigger than our own:
Because of how far away they are, and the speed at which light travels, this photo shows these galaxies as they were over 12 billion years ago. Many of them no longer exist.
- Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new National Security Adviser, replacing Michael Flynn, who resigned last week.
- Russian ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin has died after suffering from cardiac arrest this morning, a day before his 65th birthday.
- Senator Ron Wyden will soon introduce legislation requiring warrants before phones can be searched at the US border.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it is the definition of friendship goals 😎