1. This is Elisa Lam, a 21-year-old from Vancouver. On Tuesday, her body was found at the bottom of a tank on the roof of the Hotel Cecil in Los Angeles. She was last seen at the hotel on Jan. 31.
2. The Cecil is a historic $65/night hotel near Los Angeles’ Skid Row. It once housed serial killers Richard “Nightstalker” Ramirez and Jack Unterweger.
3. Lam’s body was discovered when guests complained of low water pressure.
4. Police have called her death suspicious, but it’s still unclear whether Lam was killed and dumped into the tank or fell into the tank.
5. Before she went missing, hotel elevator security cameras captured her strange behavior.
6. Michael and Sabina Baugh, tourists from England, both showered and drank water at the Cecil.
“We never thought anything of it … We thought it was just the way it was here,” Sabrina Baugh, right, told CNN. “The shower was awful … When you turned the tap on, the water was coming black first for two seconds and then it was going back to normal.”
“The moment we found out, we felt a bit sick to the stomach, quite literally, especially having drank the water, we’re not well mentally,” Michael Baugh said.
7. The contaminated water tank also supplied the hotel’s coffee shop and restaurant.
9. The only water currently flowing at the Cecil is flowing to the toilets. The hotel is working with a consultant on a plan to sanitize the rest of the lines.
- Republican members of Congress face angry town halls flooded with voters opposing Obamacare repeal and other parts of the Trump agenda.
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos defended the Trump administration rescinding transgender protections, despite reports she opposed the effort.
- Indiana police released chilling audio in the case two teens found dead in the woods — a voice captured on one of their phones saying "down the hill."
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.